Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cute Foods and other lists

I remember once, on a slow day at work many years ago, compiling a list of cute foods with a coworker. I don't know why. Blueberries were on the list, I remember, as were early peas. I will now mentally add "Bun-dinos" to the list. They're not very good (think little Hot Pockets) but they're awfully cute. Small round things seem to make the list.

Another list I think about from time to time is Cars Named After Animals. I don't remember where I read it, but some (no doubt) shrill and self-important writer reported in some book or article or something that although there are far more prey animals in the world than predators, cars named after animals overwhelmingly have predator names. The writer used this as an example of people being, I don't know, stupid or something. Every time I notice a Mustang or a Skylark or an Impala or a Rabbit I think of that unsupported statement and go over my mental list. I am pretty sure that writer was wrong.

What does this have to do with writing? Nothing, actually. I just thought I'd better stop myself from complaining about work today, and mental lists was the first thing I thought of. Also, I am putting off addressing the edits on my article for Les Bonnes Fees, because if there's anything I dislike more than gearing up to write a nonfiction article, it's revising an article I've already written. Fiction is so much more fun on every level.

No comments: