Thursday, October 16, 2008

I voted! and food

Mom and I went over and early voted today, since Election Day is on a Tuesday and I don't get off work until 7:30pm. I voted for Obama, of course. I don't argue about politics, incidentally, because anyone who doesn't believe exactly like I do is obviously insane and should probably be locked up for their own protection, and there's no point in arguing with crazy people.

Then we went back to Mom's house and I cooked sweet potatoes, because our nice warm weather is turning cool and fallish and it's supposed to rain tonight. My sweet potatoes are awesome. I got the recipe from a woman I used to work with; I think it's the cinnamon that really makes them. Or the pecans. Anyway, no marshmallows come anywhere near them.

Here's the recipe, if you're interested:

3 c. cooked mashed sweet potatoes (about 3 15-oz cans)
1 c sugar
1/2 c milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon or allspice (I always use cinnamon)

Topping:
1/2 c melted butter
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1 c chopped pecans

Mix and pour in well-buttered casserole, then spread on topping (it's thick--you sort of have to drop it on by spoonfuls). Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

It's a very forgiving recipe, very rich and very good. And it's good for you!

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I didn't think you voted until November - that's really naive of me isn't it. Here, we vote on election day and get the results the following day, but then we are a very, very small country.

I don't really do politics, but if I was able to vote than Obama would be my guy. That Palin woman scares me.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I won't comment on your political preferences, I don't like either candidate, but the recipe looks awesome!

p.s. I voted today as well but I am keeping my vote secret.

K.C. Shaw said...

Palin is a joke, and not a very funny one if you think about her running the country.

We do vote in November--Nov. 4 this time around. Early voting is a fairly new process, mostly for people like me who can't get out on Election Day. The votes aren't counted until Election Day itself, though.

K.C. Shaw said...

Jamie--the recipe is definitely awesome! And totally non-partisan! :)