Saturday, March 27, 2010

Gardening woes

Does anyone have any recipes that call for chile peppers of any kind? I need them for my ever-expanding pepper guide project. Also accepting title suggestions, like Get a Real Hobby, Loser.

I got some work done on the garden after work today, until I died of heat exhaustion. Actually it was pretty chilly today, but to protect myself from those sweat bee abominations I was gardening in jeans, a long-sleeved turtleneck, heavy gardening gloves, and my beekeeper hat. And shoes and socks, of course. Absolutely no skin was exposed directly to the outside air. It worked, but after an hour I was drenched in sweat and couldn't even wipe it out of my eyes without taking off a glove (danger!) and lifting up my beekeeper veil (danger! danger! sweat bee alert!).

I'm going to be the pastiest gardener in the world this year. Apparently these sweat bees are not usually very bad, but this year they're everywhere--one of our neighbors says they're cyclical, like cicadas. They do not, of course, bother my mother. Apparently I smell better. To BUGS.

7 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Ying is irresistible to mosquitos. Poor thing gets all bumpy in the summer. He's excited about the peppers: I'm not sure he understand how many grow from the seeds ; )

Richard said...

Perhaps, eating peppers would change your scent enough that the bees would leave you alone?

K.C. Shaw said...

Natalie--I'm the same way with mosquitoes. They LOVE me and I react really badly to the bites. I hope the peppers grow--the seeds haven't germinated yet. Tell Ying that one pepper plant can grow dozens and dozens of peppers over the summer. I'll send you a whole bunch. :)

Lertulo--THAT is a brilliant idea. Even if it doesn't work, it's bound to taste good.

Cate Gardner said...

Nah I'll always be the pastiest Gardner in the world. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

lol! That deserves a rimshot. badum-ching!

Danielle Birch said...

Neither recipes/cooking or gardening are my forte, sorry. Although I haven't killed a plant yet this year, so that has to be a record.

K.C. Shaw said...

The 2010 Not-Killing-Plants Challenge! :)