Thursday, July 22, 2010

The fruits of my labors


It's not the first of the month, but have a picture of my peppers! These are a few varieties that have started producing. From left to right, top to bottom: the very long ones are immature cowhorns (they get really big if you let them grow), then a pair of mammoth Jalapenos, then two smallish cayennes, middle row a banana pepper, my first sort-of-ripe Habanero, two puriras, and bottom row is a Tabasco and two NuMex variety peppers--Sunrise, I think, but possibly Twilight. I planted both and failed to label them properly, but I think Twilight peppers stay purple instead of turning red. Also they sparkle.

*rimshot*

My acquisition of books continues apace as usual, faster than I can read, although I did read the one I bought today. It was one of those one-gulp books, but since I snagged it before the official release date, I've scheduled the review to run on Tuesday. Hopefully. I've also got three other books for immediate devouring sitting next to the bed, and several books coming in the mail. Dammit, why do I have to work? It's seriously cutting into my reading time!

I had planned to do a lot of writing today, but at least I got everything typed up that I'd handwritten. I'm now 31,000 words into The Trickster Society and about to ratchet up the tension a notch. Looking forward to nearly getting my heroine Ivy arrested for a very serious crime. Muahaha.

Oh, and you know the 3-day novel contest that I entered two years ago? Since I won't be able to go to DragonCon this year, dammit (I can't get off work--see, work just ruins my life), I've decided definitely to enter the contest again AND Mom agreed to collaborate with me! Since she's not really into fantasy, we're going to write a quirky middle-grade book instead. Mom's writing can be extremely funny, so I'm looking forward to working with her. It'll be an experiment for both of us, and if the book turns out good, even if it doesn't win, we can market it.

9 comments:

Danielle Birch said...

The peppers are looking good. I have an editing/reading weekend coming up so am looking forward to being very productive.

K.C. Shaw said...

Enjoy the weekend! It's going to be so hot here this weekend that I suspect I will just stay inside and write too.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Those look yummy! I'm the only one around these parts that likes peppers. The Other Half and her parents cannot handle them at all. Being of Latin descent, I think I am genetically predisposed towards liking them.

K.C. Shaw said...

My mom can't handle any kind of heat in peppers. She thinks the very mild purple poblano types are wild n' crazy hot! It makes it hard for me to cook with peppers.

Cate Gardner said...

I wonder if peppers were Stephenie Meyer's inspiraton. ;)

Gorgeous picture. I hate to sound stupid but...Oh my goodness, the banana pepper looks like a banana.

Jamie Eyberg said...

The 3 day novel sounds like fun. The peppers are looking really good. I see salsa in your future. :)

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--It does, doesn't it? It doesn't taste like a banana, though. :)

Jamie--OMG, I can make SALSA! I swear I didn't think of that until I read your comment. Mmmmmm, salsa.

Aaron Polson said...

Sounds like a fun contest...and I have to say I have some pretty serious pepper-envy. We never can get them to grow very well.

K.C. Shaw said...

We haven't gotten nearly as many peppers this year as I'd expected, but at least the vile disease that killed some of the plants in May and June seems to have eased up a little. Some of the weaker plants are starting to look healthier and are producing blooms. Hopefully we'll get lots more peppers in August and September!