Saturday, May 28, 2011

A perfect day

With all the excitement of my new car, I completely forgot to mention that I sold a story! "Never Be Alone" will appear in the spring 2012 issue of Strange, Weird, and Wonderful.

It's been a lovely weekend so far. I actually took Friday off work so I'd have a four-day weekend instead of a three, which was a great idea. For one thing, I doubt the car I bought would have still been available if I'd waited until today. For another, I've got a longer time to write.

Of course, I haven't done much writing. This morning I went out to Starbucks and did write a few pages, but before long I had to go back out to my car and drive around. I ended up at Target, where I bought a picnic basket with a cheerful striped lining. And that was the perfect choice, since when I got home around noon, Mom reminded me that the Fellowship church downtown was having a barbecue. We bought barbecue chicken dinners (that turned out to be wonderful), packed them up in the basket with a cotton check blanket, and drove in my Mini to the river to picnic.

The weather was perfect, the river lovely. We packed everything back up after we'd eaten, and on our way back to the car, we happened upon a small wedding group. A couple was getting married right next to the river, so we stopped (because we didn't want to be rude by traipsing through their party with a picnic basket) and watched the rest of the ceremony. It was an absolutely charming chance event.

Now I have Bloodhound open and hopefully pretty soon I'll start typing new words.

7 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

That all sounds delightful. I think it's good vibes from the mini.

Oh, and congratulations.

Paula RC said...

Well done with your story! You must have a lucky car there. I hope you have more good luck, KC.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--I think so too.

Jarmara--It's a good luck car because it's green!

Fox Lee said...

Huzzah on the sale! Glad you're enjoying your new car : )

K.C. Shaw said...

I love it! I've been driving all over the place!

Danielle Birch said...

Congrats on the story, and the great weekend :)

K.C. Shaw said...

It was a lovely weekend. :)