Monday, May 2, 2011

Rewrite Request Retire

The day I went to the beach, I got a rewrite request from a large small publisher (heh) for one of my billions of useless novellas. Obviously I haven't had a chance to address the rewrites yet, but I've been thinking about what I want to do. I've got a good idea of how I should fix the motivation problem, but there's a worldbuilding issue that has me flummoxed. I need to set aside a few hours to work on the rewrite. Maybe Thursday.

Last month I got another rewrite request...on a 900-word story. The editor was confused because she expected the story to be spooky and it wasn't. I have noticed that that particular market doesn't seem to recognize humor when they see it. Since the story wasn't much good to start with, I just deleted it. Flash fiction is disposable.

5 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

All of the flash fiction on my hard drive just cried out. :|

(I understand, of course. Just don't tell the stories.)

Fox Lee said...

Rewrites are hard for me. My nature is to be easy going and make changes, but sometimes it kills the voice.

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--It never felt a thing, I promise.

Natalie--All the rewrite requests I'd had have improved the stories, so I don't mind them. I stress over them, though.

Cate Gardner said...

Good luck with the rewrite. :D

K.C. Shaw said...

Thanks! I've started looking forward to it, which is a good sign.