Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunburned Days


Dawn yesterday on Folly Beach, South Carolina. Mom took that picture, but I was with her. We left a few hours later, and now we're home.

The beach was amazing and awesome and wonderful. We all had a great time and got sunburned. Thursday night I stayed up with my brother, sister-in-law, oldest nephew, and a cousin and his wife to play D&D; I didn't get to bed until about 1am, and was woken at 4am when Mom, my sister-in-law's mother, and an aunt got up to watch the royal wedding. I didn't want to watch the wedding and couldn't get back to sleep since I was sleeping on a pull-out couch on the upstairs balcony right above the TV, so I went outside and walked three or four miles along the beach. When I left it was dark and the crescent moon was shining on the wet sand. By the time I got back, the sun was well up.

It was hard to leave, but I was glad to get home to my garden and my own bed. I just wish I didn't have to *groan* get up early tomorrow and go to work.

Not entirely to my surprise, I did not do any writing while I was gone. I still haven't finished Bloodhound.

Here's our beach house; in the foreground is the sand turtle with a castle on its back that we made on Thursday, that was still there on Saturday when we left.

5 comments:

Fox Lee said...

The turtle stood still that long?

Alan W. Davidson said...

I've been so inactive you could have built a sand castle on me and it would have lasted for days. Looks like a fantastic location for a vacation.

K.C. Shaw said...

Natalie--Yup. Then again, turtles are slow.

Alan--A sand castle is probably very good sunscreen.

Cate Gardner said...

Folly Beach actually exists!!! And the reason for this outburst. I wrote a story called 'Folly Beach' that was published back in the late 90s. Freaky. Okay, maybe not that freaky, just humour me.

And of course, now I WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH.

K.C. Shaw said...

It's a good thing I didn't know you invented Folly Beach, or I'd have been too frightened to get out of bed while I was there. :)