Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday nattering

We're gearing up for final registration at work, so I haven't been home much. When I have been home, I've been reading. For the first time since starting Skunk Cat Book Reviews, I'm behind getting my reviews written. Last night I posted a review of Aaron Polson's excellent The House Eaters and tonight (if I have time--I have to stay late at work to give a placement test) I'll post a review of Kevin Hearne's Hounded, which I also loved. Of course by then I may need to post another review, since I'm halfway through a third book.

Anyway, it's been busy. But tomorrow I get off at noon and have a real weekend for a change. Mom talked me into going by the Mini Cooper dealership tomorrow to test drive a Mini. I can't afford one unless it's used, and I swore almost ten years ago that I'd never buy another used car, but it's a Mini and they're so cute! I have a Toyota Yaris hatchback which gets excellent gas mileage but which I've never loved. And since I drive 45-minutes-one-way for my commute five days a week, I need a good gas mileage--but I'd also like a car I just love to drive, since I spend so much time in it. Thus, I will be test driving a Mini tomorrow afternoon, but if I come home with one it will only be because hundred-dollar bills showered on me from the sky. Geez, the cheapest new Minis they sell start at the same amount as my yearly salary. And I have student loans, so my debt-to-income ratio makes accountants blanch. That's why I live with my mom: I can't afford rent. I certainly can't afford to trade my aging Yaris. Please allow me a heavy sigh at this point.

I have no news on the writing front, as usual. Just now I was going down the list of my pending submissions on Duotrope and caught myself muttering, "Too soon for that one...I don't think that market's going to respond...they're not going to respond either...that publisher never responds, I don't know why I bother with them anymore...another month for that one...I don't think I'm going to get a response from that market either...." Depressing. Frustrating.

I have to get dressed to go to work now, to drive 45 minutes and stay there until late this evening and drive 45 minutes back. Because that's why they pay me the big bucks.

8 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

As I said at Skunk Cat, thanks for reading. There's far too little reading in the world anymore. ;)

Paula RC said...

Oh, to own a Mini Cooper! They must look lost on your big roads.

Good luck with your writing K.C.

Fox Lee said...

Get a motorcyle!

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron--Reading is good. :)

Jarmara--Every time I see a Mini, I'm surprised I don't wreck. I can't look away from the cute!

Natalie--Considering how I spent my entire childhood with scabs on my knees from wrecking my bike, I think a motorcycle would be a really bad idea.

Free Range Anglican said...

Remember your brother's mini.
Remember how it died.
On a snowy night.
With repairs that would have been well into the thousands required
Had it not been for the warranty
Which on the day he picked the car up
Expired.

A poem in honor of your aspirations.

K.C. Shaw said...

I remember how my brother drives.
I remember that one car my brother had that he forgot to ever change the oil in and it died.
I do not forget to change my oil.
I do not drive like my brother.

I cannot afford a mini.

:)

Cate Gardner said...

I hope you were showered with cash.

K.C. Shaw said...

Alas, no. I didn't test drive a mini either. I thought it would be too dangerous. Mom and I saw the new Pirates of the I-can't-spell-it movie instead. It was okay.